The New Year is a time when a vast amount of us begin to consider eating better and regaining a healthier lifestyle. People are becoming more aware of the infamous saying, ‘You are what you eat’ making them more conscious of what they put on their plate at meal times. Consumers are searching for products with less salt, fats and artificial ingredients, plus are beginning to fly the flag of organic and free-range produce. When visiting Holiday Homes in Snowdonia, you are in close proximity a number of restaurants and delicatessens who will cater for all your needs. Below we have listed our Top Ten Places for Great Healthy Eating in Snowdonia.
- The Queen’s Head, Llandudno | This is a noteworthy country pub with regards to its delicious food, great atmosphere and its welcoming team of staff. The kitchen consists of chefs who have a real passion for the local produce. They source plenty of the freshest seafood around and offer interesting twists on some classic fish and shellfish plates. Their steaks are delectable and cooked to perfection according to how you like it, plus they always source organic foods where possible. For a healthier doe of great food, look no further than this award-winning restaurant. For an instant hit of vitamins, try their Char-Grilled Halloumi dish!
- The Groes Inn, Tyn y Groes | A great example of a classic British Inn set in the picturesque countryside, The Groes Inn serves up some great-tasting treats. They offer dishes made with the freshest ingredients and locally sourced produce. With regards to meat, game is sourced from the nearby estates and lamb from the Conwy Valley. Situated near the waters of Anglesey and Conwy, The Groes Inn offers an abundance of locally caught seafood. All of this is sure to get you ready for a long, scenic walk along many of the routes in the area.
- Blue Sky Café, Bangor | This place has a high ethos for high quality foods which consist of locally sourced, organic ingredients. They are hidden away off Bangor High Street, with stunning interior architecture and a colourful, rich and diverse menu to challenge your taste buds. To complement their great selection of meals, they also offer a range of organic and fair-trade drinks with regular live music events of the highest calibre.
- Iechyd Da, Betws y Coed | Translating from Welsh, ‘Iechyd Da’ means ‘Good Health’ which makes this place the perfect stop for a healthy light lunch or a filling evening meal packed full of all the goodness you need. It is an independent family-run deli situated in the heart of Betws y Coed. When you visit be sure to try out some of the delicious produce, cheeses, preserves, cakes, honey and various fish from the local smoker. They have a great selection of gluten-free food and vegetarians will be in their element due to the width of choice available. Meat eaters should not worry as they patchwork pate is made using local produce, plus they have a great selection of antipasti, salamis and cured meats.
- Oren, Caernarfon | Oren is a European restaurant founded by Dutchman, Gert Vos and its gastronomic theme is ‘Peasant Food’. The name ‘Oren’, which is the Welsh equivalent or ‘Orange’, was chosen as both the namesake and the design motif of the small, stone-walled bistro. They serve fresh, unique and interesting dishes and his menu takes ideas from all over the world and turns them on their heads. You can expect things such as Spicy Turkey and Bacon Pie, Chicken and Kaffir Lime Soup, plus Chilli Chocolate Cake! Visit Oren to challenge your taste buds, but also try the best of both worlds – a healthy and tasty menu.
- The Peak Restaurant, Llanberis | This establishment is hidden in the small Snowdonia village that is Llanberis. Head Chef, Angela Dwyer was trained in London and has cooked for various celebrities including Madonna. Angela also did the food at Nigella Lawson’s wedding! The food here is full of Welsh goodness; locally sourced ingredients and organic meats are carefully cooked and arranged in the ‘open kitchen’ environment. The rich and diverse menu changes on a monthly basis and offers gluten-free and vegetarian options. Therefore, you will find something new to try out each time you visit.
- Blas ar Fwyd, Llanrwst | If you happen to be visiting Llanrwst then be sure to pop into Blas ar Fwyd Delicatessen. It’s proud to be the largest deli in England and Wales (outside of London). Here you’ll find a large selection of sublime foods with healthy local products and many made on site. They also offer a fine selection of drinks and an extensive choice of wines.
- Bistro, Betws y Coed | Brothers and Chefs and Bistro, Chris and Paul Adams have had an invaluable Michelin restaurant experience. They have been putting it to good use by creating elegant and delectable dishes since 2006. Based in the picturesque town of Betws y Coed, the brothers cook delightful dishes for all to try, which include adaptions of medieval meals and artistic, modern and tasty plates. They are advocated of local produce and source their fish and meats from within a 20 mile radius. They even catch some of the fish themselves!
- The Quarry Café, Machynlleth | This forward thinking, artistic and inspiring establishment is run by the Centre for Alternative Technology. They have firm beliefs when it comes to food and if you visit them, you will see why. They aim to use and sell organic, local, seasonal and Fair-Trade produce, which makes for a great selection of healthy and natural foods to choose from. They pride themselves on offering fair-trade goods of tea, coffee and chocolate and their home-baked organic breads and rolls ar available throughout the year.
- Y Pantri Cymraeg, Caernarfon | This fine establishment boasts a fine choice of healthy foods. It may be small, but it’s an Aladdin’s cave of beautifully made and tasty local produce. Expect to find everything here from baked goods, local chocolates, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, Welsh wines and other local specialities.
Here you have a wide selection of cafes, deli’s and restaurants who all serve healthy and organic options for those who wish to swap the deep-fried fish at the local chip shop, with a plate full of great-tasting and healthy ingredients.