This is a lovely circular walk along the Wales Coastal Path, but one that perhaps isn’t all it seems. Half the walk is along the coast, but this isn’t the coastal path – you return inland along what is actually the coastal path, slightly bizarre but a nice route nonetheless.
The reason being that the route is a fully coastal walk along the shore but it can only be walked on when the tide is out.
- The route begins in Aberdesach on the A499 between Caernarfon and Pwllheli – if you are driving we’d recommend you following the minor road down to the beach to the small parking area, or to simply walk down there from the road.
- If the seaweed covered rocks aren’t visible, the tide is probably too far in to attempt this safely. However, if it is safe, turn right across the small footbridge and head over the first of the three streams and the first and last footbridge! You’ll walk pass a couple of beach chalets which are positioned beautifully for enchanting views.
- Whilst there is a path along the clifftop, it is overgrown and eroded in certain places – follow the beach instead, this is on the whole fairly easy going if you stick to the strip of hard sand. The beach continues along to the headland, marked Trywn Maen.
- The beach does begin to vary in terrain slightly for the next couple of kilometres. You’ll come to the Afon Llyfni, which has a wide shallow area perfect for crossing, but be aware that the water might come over your boots, so it might be a good idea to just take them off and embrace the cooling water.
- Continue along the beach for another three(ish) kilometres, and the route becomes easier as you go. You’ll meet a small stream, Afon Llifon that you will need to cross, but it has been dammed by the shingle so it can be simply bypassed lower down.
- You can leave the beach at Dinas Dinlle and head for the Wales Coastal Path, this can be narrow and a bit precarious so be careful! We recommend leaving this route for the safer path towards Llandwrog.
- Continue past the pub, church and the school, and the minor road will bring you out on the main A499 road.
- Cross over the road ad turn right along the A499 cycle path which also doubles up as the Wales Coastal Path – there are some great views along this section and it avoids the main road for a while which is a bonus. By following this road you will then end up back where you left your car!]
**These directions are for guidance only. Morfa Lodge can accept no responsibility for any loss, damage or injury resulting from the use of this information. The information quoted is correct at the time of writing. Always take a map with you and be prepared for any changes in the weather.